Jewelry for your Little Black Dress
Everyone has an LBD in their closet. These tips can help you create a striking look with your jewelry, whether it’s for a holiday event, wedding, special evening out, or even a luncheon. Because, as a friend says, “It’s time to take those sparklies out again for a spin.”
Layer it up
Layering necklaces can create a very dramatic look—with either pearls or gold chains. Stitch Fix has some tips:
- Wear at least 3 necklaces and mix up the lengths.
- Add a lariat, which can lengthen your body.
- Choose similar metals (gold or silver).
- Consider a bold necklace with other, delicate ones to make it pop.
Wondering about lengths? Here they are, with their names:
Light up that LBD
For a luncheon, consider dangle earrings and a collection of bangle bracelets. For a dinner or cocktail hour, you can go with a glitzy pin to draw attention. Every color works except for navy or brown, which will wash out. If the dress has tight, long sleeves, consider adding a cuff or series of bangles over it.
Plus, consider the neckline:
- Square or scoop: Make sure your necklace is either longer or shorter than the neckline. For a U shape, consider an 18-inch necklace or a pendant.
- Strapless: Go with a bold, short necklace, like a choker. Or you could choose dangle earrings with a series of bangles.
- V-shaped: Consider a pendant, which mimics the shape of the neckline, or a lariat.
- Halter: Long pearls will add real elegance!
Make it dramatic…
If you’ve got a special piece of jewelry that you want to showcase, keep your outfit simple. Your LBD will be a perfect background for your bold statement necklace or earrings. Also perfect: stacked bracelets and glamorous rings. Add hair jewelry! And don’t forget how elegant Audrey Hepburn looked simply with pearls over her LBD.
…or make it less dramatic
If it’s a daytime event, you can go with more playful, colorful pieces. Try to avoid very shiny accessories to tone down the drama.
Flatter your shape
Curvy bodies work well with statement necklaces and other bold pieces. Tall bodies work well with long necklaces; small body frames work well with dainty, more minimal pieces.
Get those jewels out of storage and enjoy them with your favorite LBD! And you’ll enjoy them even more with the knowledge that they’re protected by insurance. And that starts with a professional appraisal. I’m booking for after the holidays, so make sure you get your appointment asap. Contact me at 617-304-0174 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.